‘Uhia te korowai kahui ki te iwi hei tauawhi, hei akiaki ki te ao angitu.’
‘Spread the folds of the korowai to all, as a means of support and encouragement in pursuit of success.’
This whakatauki embraces the mahi of SociaLink, for whom it was specifically written. The Māori Engagement Advisor role seeks to be guided and encouraged by this whakatauki, which is a platform for the work we deliver across the Western Bay of Plenty (WBOP) social sector.
SociaLink’s vision is a thriving social and community sector improving WBoP communities. The focus of the Māori Engagement Advisor role therefore supports engagement and assistance to the Māori social sector.
The role ensures relationships between Māori social services and SociaLink are strengthened and that SociaLink has an improved understanding of tikanga Māori and kawa (protocols), for engaging Māori in the social service sector.
The scope of this role includes:
- Relationship development with Māori providers across WBOP
- Developing an understanding of WBOP Māori social services and how SociaLink can best ‘add value’ to Māori social services
- Advocacy on issues of importance to Māori social services
- Social sector updates including local and central government
- Referral points and introductions
- Projects as they arise
New opportunities that arise may also include collaborations and linkages. The Māori engagement role will also explore and promote submissions to local and central government, which may support Māori advancement.